Our Ultimate Winter Workout Routine
Beat the Rainy Day Blues & stay active all through the Cooler Months!
Winter’s coming. And we all know what that means; any fitness routines we’ve worked so hard to get in the habit of doing go straight down the dunny. Why?
- “It’s too cold to go to the gym”
- “I can’t run through the rain; I’ll get a chest infection”
- “It’s too chilly to wear cute gym clothes”
Sorry to say, NONE of these are valid excuses, especially the last one! Exercise should be something we enjoy doing! That’s why the winter months make it hard; doing planks in puddles is anything but ‘fun’.
BUT there’s an easy AND free solution to this seasonal issue: INDOOR EXERCISE!! We all know this is an option, but many people struggle to either create an at-home program or find one that they actually find challenging. We’ve experience the same problems, babes. But with a whole tonne of research, we’ve found THE best body weight exercises you can do anywhere!
(... in front of the TV is our preference!)
INDOOR BODY WEIGHT EXERCISE
Take a Seat (& repeat!)
This is an exercise you can do whilst watching your fav shows! Exercise with a view!
- Find a sturdy chair. Place it in the middle of the room, away from any obstacles. Ensure there’s enough space around the chair for you to move.
- Stand in front of the chair, with your feet together. With your left foot, step up onto the chair, hold, and then return to the starting position.
- Repeat 15-20 per leg. Swap legs. Do 3-4 sets on either side
To make it a little more difficult, raise your opposite knee to your chest once you’ve stepped onto the chair. This will test your balance!
Got a wall? Why not exercise with it?! You’ll feel the burn with this one, that’s for sure!
- Start with your back to the wall. Walk your feet out in front of you, spreading them slightly apart
- Carefully slide your back down the wall whilst bending your knees. They should be bent at a 90 degree angle
- Ensure your thighs are parallel to the ground, almost like you’re sitting in an invisible chair
- Hold for 30 seconds to a minute. Stand up straight after the time is up. Repeat 3-4 times
Gradually, as you build your strength, hold this position for a longer time. Work up to 2 minutes. We promise that you will feel the burn after a few sets of these!
All you gotta do is lie on you back, keep your body straight & raise those legs nice and high!
- Lie on your back with your hands resting just under your bum. Keep your neck aligned with the rest of your body and look up at the ceiling
- Without bending or arching your back, raise your legs. The slower, the better. Make sure that you keep your legs together and don’t bend them.
- Lower them to the starting position. Repeat 15-20 times, doing 3-4 sets
This is a great core-strengthening exercise. As a variation, you can do Flutter kicks. Maintain the same position but instead of keeping your legs together, lightly kick them mid-air alternating from left to right.
Glute Bridge & Reach
Just a few of these will have your glutes and core feeling pretty dang sore!
- Lie with your back on the floor. Your arms and knees should be bent, with your feet flat on the floor
- Lift your hips as if to make a bridge with your back. Rest your shoulders on the ground to hold you up
- While squeezing your glutes, reach your left arm across your body. Try to touch the floor just above your right shoulder
- Return to the starting position. Repeat on the opposite side
- Do 10-15 per side and complete 3-4 sets
This might sound a little confusing. Just think of it like the bridges you made as a kid; instead of using your hands to hold you up, you’re using your shoulders!
A fun way to break a sweat any day! Just make sure you keep a safe distance from any windows or mirrors!
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, left foot turned to point toward your ‘opponent’ (they can be invisible!)
- With your hands, make loose fists. Hold them just below your chin, ensuring your elbows are tucked in to your sides
- Punch with both fists, alternating between hands after every punch. Do 20 punches on either side
- To mix up the routine, throw in a kick. With your back leg slightly turned to the side, raise your front leg to hip-height to do a right-round kick. Maintain your balance throughout this movement. Return to your fighting stance
- Do 2-3 kicks before starting your punches again
- Repeat this cycle 2-3 times or over 3 minutes (like a round of boxing)
Boxing is fun, especially when you’re just doing it at home! It helps raise your heart rate, improves balance and increase agility. Make sure you move around, duck and weave your head every now so you get the most out of the workout!
No More Excuses!
These are just a few of the awesome exercises you can do from the comfort of your home! Going to the gym can be a drag, especially when the weather is rather miserable! This doesn't mean you can’t bust out a killer workout. These body weight exercises prove that a good workout can be done anywhere, anytime REGARDLESS of the season!