Unless you've been living under a rock you're well aware of the Poké Bowl trend, but did you realise how easy they are to make yourself!?! Not only are these bowls super in right now, they're also super good for you, packed with protein, nutrients and healthy fats.
This is for sure a meal time favourite here at Health Lab and we've put together our favourite combo that you can whip up yourself in 5 easy steps. The best part is, there are barely any culinary skills required!
Ingredients - serves 2
- 180g of Sashimi grade salmon or tuna. Make sure you find yourself a good fishmonger because anything less than fresh will ruin your Poké! (and your day...)
- 2 tspn Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tspn Sesame Oil
- 1 tspn Tamari (Gluten Free Soy sauce)
Get creative with your base! Typically steamed brown or pink rice are popular options but you could also use quinoa, cauliflower rice or a green base of veggies for a lower carb option.
Again, you can get as creative with your toppings as you like and it's all about personal taste and getting as many different colours and nutrients in your bowl as possible. Below is our go-to combo:
Finley Siced Red Cabbage
Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) tossed with a tiny bit of Kewpie Mayo and Sesame seeds
Spicy Siracha Dressing
3/4 tbspn of Tamari
1 tbspn rice wine vinegar
1/2 tbspn Siracha
1/2 tbspn freshly grated ginger
2 tspn sesame oil
1. Steam the rice/quinoa/veggies for your base
2. Toss your fish together with the Tamari, Sesami Oil and Sesame Seeds and set aside.
3. Make your zoodles by putting washed zucchini through a Spiraliser. Then simply add coconut oil to a warm pan and sauté the zoodles until soft. Remove, season with salt and pepper, toss through Kewpi mayo and top with sesame seeds. Set aside to cool. If you're too busy for this part babe switch for some fresh spinach leaves.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
5. To serve, put your choice of base in the bottom of the bowl, arrange your toppings around the bowl and top with your fish and dressing.
Now for the best bit, EAT!
Post-Meal Sugar Cravings
We know, these darn pesky cravings come knocking at the same time everyday and we bet at this time of year you're feeling pretty tempted to reach for an Easter egg... Well STOP! Go guilt-free and satisfy those cravings with a bloody delicious ball... or two if you want to feel a tiny bit naughty ;)